Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It wasn't a rock- It was a Rock Lobster!

You know how everybody has those songs that remind them so vividly of one single time, or place, or event? Their senior prom, or this one concert or something. Well, I have whole albums like that. In the last few years, I've gone on a whole lot of road trips. Sometimes with friends, but usually by myself. I would listen to entire albums at a time, sometimes over and over.

One of the ones I listened to a ton was the B-52s best of album, Time Capsule. I love that album! And that band. I'm crazy about them. They're so weird. Song like Mesopotamia, and Quiche Lorraine, and one of my personal favorites, Rock Lobster. Yes, I said it. I adore Rock Lobster. It's so odd, and it never fails to make me smile.

But I love nearly every song of theirs. Plus, I just love them. Their quirky, kitschy style, their totally unique sound. Their solid support for gay rights (seriously). Plus, Love Shack is literally the only good karaoke experience I've ever had. Ever. Well. Out of all four of my karaoke experiences. I'm not a fan of that. But doing Love Shack with my awesome friend Baylor at a total dive of a gay bar definitely wins, hands down.

They have such fantastic lyrics, too. And such panache. No one but Fred Schneider could get away with a line like "Get on your laser, daddy, and ride... through your telescope into the night!" It's so weird, and still such a catchy song. I can't help but love them.

So here's to the best post-punk, retro-alternative, new wave pop band there ever was.

The B-52's- all of you- I want to have your babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment