Thursday, September 9, 2010

Obnoxiously warm fuzzies

There's a crazy amount of stuff I should be doing tonight. Probably more than I should be blogging right now, but that's a bit of a moot point, isn't it? First and foremost, I have to bake a pan of gingerbread. Not that that's a problem. If only because I'm looking forward to the smell. Which is all I will get to enjoy of it tonight.

At my new job, everybody takes turns bringing breakfast for everybody on Friday mornings. So far we've had bagels, pastries and fruit salad, and green chile breakfast burritos- twice. It's New Mexico. You can never have too many green chile breakfast burritos.

So tomorrow's my turn. I'm bringing the gingerbread, along with juice, grapes, and two sacks of apples. Not that we have that many people in the office, but not everybody likes Granny Smiths. So I got Galas, too. And after tomorrow morning, I can take the rest home and actually have some healthy snacks for once.

What's the point of all this, I don't actually hear you asking, but I'm pretending I do?

I'm happy to make breakfast for my coworkers. Because I love working there, and I love working with them. I'm incredibly lucky to have a job I love, in the city I love. I realize not everyone is this fortunate, and certainly not by the ripe old age of twenty four. I'm not in a starring role on Broadway, or editing a major magazine, or running my own crafty empire, but I'm happy. How many people can say that?

I don't really have a secret to success. I guess not settling. I've had several decent jobs, in decent cities. But it wasn't enough to stop me from saving up and moving again and again, until I feel like I got it right. I suppose my advice is to just keep trying new things, and new combinations in your life until you're happy. Not settling is a hard thing to do. Especially in an economy and job market like we have right now.

But don't give up on a chance at happiness, even if it's just as small as sharing breakfast with your coworkers.

Does it sound too much like bragging if I say I want to have babies with my life right now? I hope it only gets better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment